The risk of having an active shooter on a commercial property is becoming a reality in today’s world. Building Owners and Managers must always be prepared for all types of incidents in the daily operation of their building. The term ‘active shooter’ was not something that was part of our normal, daily, building operation planning years ago. However, today it is, and it is becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on.
As defined by the U.S. Office of Homeland Security, the profile of an active shooter is:
- An individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a conﬁned and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use ﬁrearms(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims.
- Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly.Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.
- Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes, before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with an active shooter situation.
As a building manager, landlord or employer, it is your duty to make your building occupants and/or employees aware of the following conditions:
- Always be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
- Take note of the two nearest exits in any facility you visit or work at
- If a shooter condition arises and you are in an ofﬁce, stay there and secure the door
- If you are in a hallway, get into a room and secure the door
- As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot ﬂee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate him/her. CALL 911 WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO!
The U.S. Department of State Home land Security website has a great deal of information that can be downloaded for use to develop a program tailored for you property location and needs at https://www.dhs.gov/publication/active-shooter-how-to-respond
This is a subject that cannot be overlooked; here at Fairman & Associates Inc., we take a proactive approach to make sure that all buildings in our portfolio are kept up-to-date with the latest information relating to subjects such as an active shooter, as well as any other important timely information.